Monday, December 14, 2009

The cold weather has been shutting me down.

Since I haven't been able to get out and shoot people images in the cold I have been sorting through old images on the laptop trying to make room for new images and every now and then I find a few gems.
This is probably my very first successful product shot that I put together on my own. Digital made a huge difference with this image just due to the instant feedback. I had tried shooting stuff like this with 35mm gear but without polaroid it was kind of hit or miss. The lighting for this image consisted of a medium soft box camera left and a strobe with just a standard reflector and a red gel for the background. If I did it over again I would have gobo'd the reflection of the soft box on the glass. Taken with a Nikon D100

The last time I was attempting to go back to school I got a job working for photo services and some of the assignments I took a little creative license like this one during a rehearsal of Macbeth. Not only was the use of a slow shutter speed unusual (high ISO's with digital sucked at this point) I also hauled the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 out to shoot with. the slow shutter technique for stuff like this doesn't seem to get used as much anymore since it is so simple to crank up the ISO and freeze the action. But I think if I would have done that here this image would have lost the emotion it has.
This was the first time I had ever dragged big studio lights outside for a shoot. Very strait forward shot, a 60" umbrella camera right and a one stop under exposure for the background. I shot with my old Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with the 110mm. I was pretty lucky to have gotten this image when I did cause two hours later it started to snow and it stayed till spring.

This was another shot from a photo services assignment. I was covering the annual Night We Light festivities and after it was all done and I was on my way back to the car I saw these four people who had been in the parade heading back to their cars. I just thought it was funny since the parade had been over for a good 20 min at that point and they were still in costume. Shot with natural light and a Nikon D100.

No comments:

Post a Comment