Thursday, January 1, 2009

I was bored.

Well I thought I would throw a few images on here or at least try since stuff like this is all kind of new too me. Here are a few images from the last year and some descriptions.
First of all I went all digital in 2008 and have not looked back. There have been so many techniques that once eluded me during my film days, most notably using small flash, but as soon as I was able to get that instant feedback and correct what I was seeing my life changed. Up till then with my, well I wouldn't say failed flash images but maybe less the spectacular results I had decided that it was natural light or nothing. Now though I have been going out of my way to shoot flash images, check out some of the better ones.


This was my very first attempt to shoot with wireless strobes. I had one SB-800 in a small softbox camera left and another behind Lance camera left with a red gel which you can see in his hair. The fill light on his face was provided by the large glass doors in his dining room.


This one of the beautiful Jenna was about ten years in the making. Before I couldn't figure out where to get a cheap crystal ball and even if I could get one how would I light it from the inside. I won't go into too much detail on this one but the answer hit me like lightning one day just bouncing around the house. What I will tell you is that the flash had a full CTO (color temp orange) gel and the camera set for tungsten white balance.

Last one for tonight. The thing I like best about this is the snoot that I used to get the film noir look in this image. I made it in about 20 minutes, out of an empty Coke 12 pack box and some duct tape. I had that on an SB-800 camera left and a second SB-800 behind Jeremiah camera right with some sort of purple gel. The whole set up took about 15 minutes and was promptly followed up with a few pints at the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment