Thursday, January 7, 2010

A major influence.


Growing up my Dad had a great collection of photo book and magazines and after I was shown how to use an SLR I basically taught myself by reading all of those magazines and books. Now I have a large collection of books and magazines. Over the years I have gone through different styles as I found photographers who's work I liked, Herb Ritts, Norman Seeff, Galen Rowell, Mark Seliger and most recently Joe McNally who literally wrote the book on small flash photography. Back in 1996 I taught myself how you mix natural light and flash outdoors, till I got a hand held light meter I was stuck with the S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ass guess) method of flash metering. When I got one though I was able to create the below image, which won first place in a state wide high school photo contest.


Then came digital, which allowed me to try new things with small flash but it was still hit or miss since I didn't understand that the communication between flash and camera was even more advanced then what I was used to. The image below was my first serious work with balancing gels and white balance.

After having read Joe McNally's book "The Moment it Clicks" and following his blog I have been inspired to add small flashes to my photographic style and haven't been happier with the images I have been able to create. The top image was done with two SB-800's, one clamped to the shelf across from Tommi and the other hidden in the book. The white balance was set for tungsten and no gels on the flashes to keep the overall blue feel going.
Camera: D300
Lens: 17-55mm f/2.8




No comments:

Post a Comment