Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Its all done with smoke and mirrors.

I am always amazed how something so simple can spark an idea for a cool photo. This image came about when we decided to take a break and Annalise blow out some candles we were using for a photo. When I saw the smoke I thought we could do something with it if I could light it and I have never tried to light smoke before. I used a snooted SB-800 camera right and behind her pointed at the smoke trying to highlight the smoke. Then camera left I had a softbox with a CTO gel on it. I did the gel because then I could set the white balance to tungsten and get a nice blue out of the flash lighting the smoke. We did three sets in an attempt to get the smoke just right, I would have liked a bit more detail in her, but over all I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment